Admissions & Attendance
The school has three classes in each year group, Year 3 to Year 6 with an extra class in the current Year 5.
Each year group team has a year leader, class teachers and teaching support staff. The classes are managed by the class teacher with support from the teaching support staff. Occasionally within a class there may be a child who has been assessed as having particular learning or physical needs, who will have an additional teaching support assistant allocated to them.
All admissions to Deansbrook Junior School are handled by the London Borough of Barnet and all applications should be made via the local authority's admissions portal. Children are admitted to the Junior School in the September following their 7th birthday and at any time until the July after their 11th birthday. Where applications exceed the number of places available, children will be offered a place according to the following criteria:
- Looked after and previously looked after children.
- Having an Educational Health Care Plan, where the school is named on the Plan, as long as the school is able to meet the pupil's needs.
- Transferring from Deansbrook Infant School.
- Having an exceptional medical, social or other need which the school is particularly able to meet.
- Children who live in the school's catchment area and are without a school place because they have moved.
- Having a brother or sister, living at the same address, who attends the Infant or Junior School.
- Living within the school's catchment area.
- Proximity of the child's home to the school, with those living nearer to the school being given higher priority.
Parents can find out more about admission arrangements through the Barnet Schools Website:
Attendance and Timekeeping
Attendance and timekeeping are a major focus for the school. It is an area that has strict guidelines and is monitored on an on-going basis, both by the school and the local authority.
Please ensure that the children arrive on time for the start of the school day and are collected promptly at 3.10pm unless they are attending an after-school club.
Click here for our Attendance Policy.
|8:45am||Children come in for ‘soft start’|
|8:55am||Registration and Lessons begin|
|10.10 – 10.30am||Assembly|
|10.30 – 10.50am||Play time|
|12.35pm – 1.30pm||Lunch|
|3.10pm||End of the school day|
|6.00pm||After-school clubs end|
Attendance at school is compulsory and the government has set an expected level of attendance for each child of 95% and above. At Deansbrook we are very proud that our attendance levels are well above the national average. Attendance may not always be possible due to ill health but we would like you to actively encourage your child to attend school if they are well enough.
Attendance is strictly monitored and we have procedures in place to tackle persistent poor attendance and lateness. If your child is unable to attend school then can you please make sure you email or call the main office by 9.00am. If this does not happen then we will call you as part of our attendance procedures.
The school is in regular contact with the Educational Welfare Officer (EWO), who monitors attendance and supports families who do not meet the legal requirements of attendance set by the government.